[PLUG] Abt fedora core 6 DVD wid LFY...

Nishit Dave stargazer.dave at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 23:18:10 IST 2006

On 12/8/06, YAGNESH N DESAI <ynd at hzw.ltindia.com> wrote:
> I had bought the DVD and installed the FC6 I found that
> it was not supporting the propreitory formats like mp3.
> Also I had an issue with the RPM manager which did not
> start without internet connection. (rpm command from
> commandline would always work but I am comfortable using
> the GUI)
> I shifted to MEPIS for such support. Can anyone share their
> experience on FC6. . .

If you want multimedia codec support in FC6, you can visit
zod.freshrpms.net.  The
best way to get the rpms you want is through yum.

First, download the following files:
(optionally, also):

Then, as root, issue the following command:

rpm --import http://freshrpms.net/RPM-GPG-KEY-freshrpms

Then, install the two rpm files mentioned above, which will add the
freshrpms repository to your yum list.

The easiest step is the last one (presuming you have a live broadband

yum install vlc

Voila! You can now play almost all the multimedia formats on FC6.  You can
also download other multimedia software / libraries from freshrpms.

You can use similar procedures to install even more software from

All the best with FC6.