[PLUG] Making broadband go faster
ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Tue Jun 27 10:45:44 IST 2006
I am writing this so that everybody benefits..:)
I have 256 kbps exatt connection. In general it works great and gives the
speed promised. However I was not happy with their DNS. I would get unknown
host every now and then..And here is what I did resolve the situation.
1. Kick out exatt DNS and use third party open DNS.
Rather than writing my own explanation, refer to these..:)
2. Install your own caching nameserver.
Yes, there is named but I chose to use dnsmasq for it being simple and already
bundled with slackware.
I am using slackware current and it was as easy as follows,
- set DNSTYPE=NOCHANGE, in /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf
- put the dns servers in /etc/alt.dns. For me, It reads as follows,
- set resolv-file=/etc/alt.dns in /etc/dnsmasq.conf. /etc/resolv.conf has only
one nameserver, 127.0.0.1
- chmod 755 /etc/rc.d/rc.dnsmasq and start dnsmasq
- reconnect to the net
- Finally for all KDE users, put a export KDE_NO_IPV6=1
in /etc/profile. It stops KDE from looking for IPv6 network and in general
makes everything hell lot fast. Cached login on my box in now 4sec in
KDE3.5.3. Yes, that is right, 4 sec.
In general, the net is lot better now..:)
More information about the Plug-mail