[PLUG] Need Help with Wireless configuration in Ubuntu

Aditya Godbole aag.lists at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 22:19:57 PST 2007

On Dec 19, 2007 8:21 PM, Anoop John <anoopjohn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Here is more information about the system.
>
> Her's is a Compaq 702TU laptop. It comes with broadcom 4311 chipset.
> The wireless was configured with NDISWrapper and firmware upgraded
> using bcm43xx-fwcutter.

Hi,

If she can get it to the PLUG meeting, it would be much easier. I
don't know which version exactly 7.10 is, but I think it should have
native kernel support for the wireless hardware. There is no need to
muck around with ndiswrapper for Broadcom 43xx chips nowadays,
provided you have the correct firmware.
All you need to do is copy to the firmware files to /lib/firmware (or
it could be /lib/modules/firmware for ubuntu) modprobe bcm43xx and you
should be through. Make sure that ndiswrapper is not inserted at the
time.
In Ubuntu, network manager should take care of the rest (unless
someone has tampered with the interfaces file).

Cheers.

-aditya