Network problems (was Re: [PLUG] Re: GNU India on the Microsoft scourge in Government)

Kaustubh Gadkari kaustubh.gadkari at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 20:03:53 PDT 2007

> Er..no. The fact that I can resolve only means that I can reach a
> nameserver that has the IP for www.gnu.org.in. The fact that I cannot
> ping that machine indicates that either the machine is down, or that
> there is a routing issue. The fact that I can reach www.gnu.org.in
> from home indicates that the server is up and running. Ergo, there is
> a routing issue.

Aha..something interesting. It seems that the entire netblock for
www.gnu.org.in belongs to TIFR. So, all sites to that netblock, e.g.
www.tifr.res.in, www.ilug-bom.org.in, www.gnu.org.in etc. are
unreachable from my univ. So it might be a firewall issue too.
Anyways, I'll talk to the netadmin here and post what I know.

Kaustubh

--
Kaustubh Gadkari
kaustubh.gadkari at gmail.com