[PLUG] Email Server

Arun Khan knura at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 29 14:52:19 IST 2008

On Tuesday 29 Apr 2008, Rajiv Gore wrote:
> I have a small LAN with 1 PC running Suse 10.2 and other 2 PC's
> running Windows2003 and windows 98.
> I have working samba on the lan for file and print sharing
> I want suse 10.2 to work as email server and allow windows machines
> and their users to pick up/ send  mail from suse box.
> Please advice how should I do this.

openSUSE by default installs postfix as your SMTP server.  For what you
are trying to do,  postfix is fairly easy to setup.  The main config
file is /etc/postfix/main.cf; each config option is well commented with
plenty of docs @ www.postfix.org.

Besides postfix, you will need to setup a POP3/IMAP server.  Dovecot
does both and for basic functionality it is easy to setup.  It's config
file is similar to postfix.

Additionally, you will have to install/configure fetchmail if you want
to retrieve external emails to your domain.

Start simple configuration:

1. domain
2. relay based on subnet.
3. smarthost being your ISP's SMTP server.

and then add the complexities one by one (SMTP AUTH, TLS etc.)

Arun Khan