[PLUG] Mandriva And Mandriva...

म.हा.सा.ग.र o.s.h.o at guruvision.com
Sun Aug 24 22:03:27 IST 2008

On Sunday 24 August 2008 21:31:42 Aditya Laghate wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-08-24 at 20:51 +0530, Arun Khan wrote:
> > On Sunday 24 Aug 2008, म.हा.सा.ग.र wrote:
> >   When I inserted his USB pen drive on my Ubuntu
> > 8.04.1 I noticed a lot of <dir>.exe files created on my hard disk.
> > Obviously, the pen drive was infected but worse yet the virus was able
> > to create the files on my system.  Luckily the damage was contained
> > since the .exe files could not run on my system.  I disabled "auto run"
> > in Nautilus.  Ease of use has it's down side.
> This is funny!! I have till date (in the last 10 years) never seen a
> virus file replicating on Linux!! Are you sure it came from the
> pen-drive and not were already present??
> Because, by logic and theory, the executable on the pen-drive CANNOT
> execute on Linux. A windows executable CANNOT run on Linux.
> There is something fishy here!
> Cheers
> Aditya

Few months back I found that some virus or an html exploit had played a trick
of it's own on my KMail folders such that many messages were showing all
fields such as "Subject" and more as unknown.  Opening those caused more

That is when I realised importance of using maildir format instead of mailbox
format.  Since in case of mbox format the ClamAV will move entire mailbox to
quarantine!  Of course I was not using ClamAV till then :-)

So if you ask me, Linux is immune to Viruses ... yes but not immune to all
kinds of exploits.  And we use quite a bunch of technologies even while
handling our *simple electronic mail*