[PLUG] Intel switches from Ubuntu to Fedora for Mobile Linux

Amit Karpe amitkarpe at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 13:04:23 IST 2008

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 6:30 AM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Hi
> http://www.heise-online.co.uk/open/Intel-switches-from-Ubuntu-to-Fedora-for-Mobile-Linux--/news/111166
> "Chip manufacturer Intel wants to use parts of the Fedora Project Linux
> distribution instead of Ubuntu as the basis for the second version of
> Moblin (Mobile & Internet Linux Project)."
> "Intel is keen on using a Linux distribution that uses RPM packages and
> package management software. Hohndel pointed out that RPM packages
> include licence information; the DEB package management as used by
> Ubuntu and Debian doesn't have this information in the package files. By
> having licence information available, developers can create software
> collections by licence type or exclude software with certain types of
> licences."
> Rahul

           Very interesting .
Dirk mention about this on his blog at

"The article in the register is not only low on detail, it's also high
in content that's made up or blown out of proportion.

But to your question. Moblin 1 (which is mostly being discussed on
moblin-dev at this point) will of course stay a .deb based
distribution. So there's no change there and no impact on Ubuntu
Mobile Edition, which is based on Moblin 1.

With Moblin 2 (which we have talked about in the playground, but not
put out to our community, yet - which is why there's no discussion on
this on moblin-dev) we decided to move to an rpm based distribution as
that gave us better build tools and most importantly a better way to
manage the licenses under which the individual packages are released.

This had been discussed with Ubuntu and as far as I know they will
pull from our repositories and continue to create a Mobile Edition.
That's the beauty of open source."

So I think development for Ubuntu and Fedora will be continue.