[PLUG] minutes of today's monthly meet

shirish shirishag75 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 22:43:42 IST 2009

Reply in-line :-

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 03:18, Aditya Godbole <aag.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/2/7 shirish <shirishag75 at gmail.com>:
>> Anyways, the discussion then veered towards Ubuntu spoiling things.
>> The argument being put forth were :-
>> a. They make things too damn easy. While people may still have to
>> configure stuff, most of the things become pretty much built-in so a
>> newbie/amateur programmer/developer who wants to play with the
>> internals doesn't need to know.
> But can easily know if she wants to. Isn't that better?

Hi Aditya,
    I agree this way is way way better. It was just something which
people felt.

I didn't want to make any statement for the simple reason there would
be a bias as I have been using ubuntu since the first one came out (4.10)

>> b. Because the software is on a CD, all the tools are not there due to
>> which one has to have good net connectivity to download anything.
>> While the need is similar for other distros. as well but its usually
>> something off-beat.
> There is a Ubuntu DVD available.

True. In fact if one searches then one can get the whole repository
of 6 DVD on media (just like Debian) its just a bit more hidden.

> The fact is, most people use computers to address needs that are not
> related to computers. Ubuntu is a distribution that aims at enabling
> non-programmers, or people from domains other than programming, to use
> a free software desktop.
> And while it does that, it does not restrict programmers from doing
> anything they want to.

Agree to that as well.

What I'm looking forward (personally) though is the Ubuntu Customization Kit.

It has been packaged for Jaunty (something similar to Fedora spins I guess)
> -aditya

          Shirish Agarwal
065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17