[PLUG] accounting software under Linux

Manas Alekar maalekar at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 15:22:05 PST 2009

I think we should all appreciate that neither the domain specific knowledge
or the usability
research of makers of Tally is being matched by other accounting softwares.
TCS tried to
replace Tally, but failed because it just did not cut the same grade.

It is interesting that we cannot appreciate a solid piece of software, so
popular amongst it's
users that most operations are now muscle memory. In that respect, it is the
emacs or vim
of CA's world.

Where am I getting praising Tally on a FOSS list ? Maybe we can learn from
it ? And what
set this rant off ? Comments about enabling souping records.

My 2 paise.

-- Manas