[PLUG] ITR filing w/o proprietary s/w

Siddhesh Poyarekar siddhesh.poyarekar at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 08:09:50 IST 2011

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 11:57 AM, Mayuresh <mayuresh at acm.org> wrote:
> Let's try to deal with it technically. What would it take to create the
> "xml" that one has to finally upload be prepared by hand? Its schema is
> available. What needs to be extracted from their Excel is some
> auto-computed fields' rules and some validation rules. Is it possible to
> reliably extract the macros from Excel forms and mimic them into an
> offline utility?
> Has anyone tried anything like that. (Salute to you if you have.)

I have been hand-editing the returns xml for my IT returns. The xml
tags are fairly well-named and I had considered writing a little tool
to do this, but I don't really know the structure of all the forms to
do this correctly at all. Heck, I won't even claim to know the ITR-2
that well despite having used it for 3 years now -- I have had to file
for rectification requests for most of my returns till date.
Thankfully the IT department has been pretty accommodating of my

And it would be too much to expect some single person to write apps
for all forms when (s)he uses only one -- most free software gets
written based on the scratch-your-itch basis. It would be a better
idea to set up a page somewhere that collects everyone's efforts.

Siddhesh Poyarekar